Please wait...
Nepřihlášený uživatel
You are here: UCT Prague - International office -  → Student → Incoming student → Short term study exchange → Medical Care and Health Insurance
iduzel: 66193
idvazba: 84422
šablona: stranka_ikona
čas: 29.3.2023 21:16:53
verze: 5263
branch: trunk
Obnovit | RAW
iduzel: 66193
idvazba: 84422
---Nová url--- (newurl_...)
domena: ''
jazyk: 'en'
url: 'en'
iduzel: 66193
path: 1/41862/41864/41898/49142/59527/59532/66193
CMS: Odkaz na newurlCMS
branch: trunk
Obnovit | RAW

Medical Care and Health Insurance

 European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

An EHIC card is a proof that you are insured in an EU country, including Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

In the Czech Republic, the EHIC card is issued automatically with your national health card by your Public health insurance provider. If you are an EU citizen, you receive a blue EHIC card valid in all EU countries including Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland.

The EHIC card is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another EU country under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in that country. However, while travelling, we recommend you to take an extra travel insurance, as the EHIC card covers only necessary care.

What to remember
  • is NOT an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property,
  • does not cover your costs if you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment
  • does not guarantee free services. As each country’s healthcare system is different services that cost nothing at home might not be free in another country.
  • The right can be claimed only by doctors and a health facilities that are connected to the national system. This right cannot be claimed by private doctors.


Citizens of EU countries & holders of EHIC should register their card with a Czech health insurance provider after their arrival. We recommend VZP as the largest health care provider in the Czech Republic with the highest number of cooperating doctors (meaning that the medically necessary expenses of your medical treatment should be covered without any issue).

Registering your EHIC in the Czech Republic will make it easier for the insurance company to bill your medical expenses to the health insurance company in your home country. You will also be assigned a “health insurance number” which will make it easier for doctors to look up your medical files.

You will receive an insurance card stating “Lékařsky nezbytná péče” = medical necessary healthcare:

 ◳ nezbytná péče (jpg) → (originál)

Note that treatments exceeding the necessary medical health care will be billed separately and may be very expensive!

Students from Turkey need to take to the VZP office the paper they have from their Health insurance provider in Turkey and register it as well.

Then when visiting a doctor, take both your EHIC and the yellow insurance card with you.

Do not forget to bring your passport with you when visiting the branch of VZP.


It is also possible to register for full healthcare. In such a case you have to visit a branch of your health insurance company in your home country and fill in the so-called S1 Form. In some countries, your health insurance company will do the process online and send the form automatically to the Czech Republic, in some other countries, you will be given a hard copy of the form to submit it in person in the Czech Republic.

Once you arrive in the Czech Republic, visit a branch of the VZP health insurance company. You will be assigned a “health insurance number”, and you will receive an insurance card stating that you are entitled to “Plná péče” = full health care.

 ◳ plná péče (jpg) → (originál)

Registration of EHIC Card

We recommend making an online registration with VZP.

Send an email to: and attached these following documents:

  1. the copy of your EHIC (students from Turkey send a copy of the paper they have from their Health insurance provider in Turkey).
  2. Copy of your passport or ID card.
  3. Filled in the registration form.
More information

VZP - Insurance cards

VZP - Branches

VZP - English website


 Medical care

If you are a foreigner living in Prague (or closeby), it is good to know where to go when you are not feeling well. The majority of Prague’s large hospitals have an emergency department where the emergency services mainly focus on providing diagnostic and medical care not only to Czech citizens but to foreign citizens as well. 

Practical information

  In the event of a life-threatening emergency, call the emergency medical services at 112 or 155.


  • Health center Puls 

Nearby UCT Prague dormitories. Ask your buddy to accompany you since they do not speak English there. Bring your health insurance card/confirmation and money with you. 

Tel.: 267 189 156 - check the opening hours here. 


  • University Hospital Motol - Department for foreigners 

The department of the hospital will arrange a visit with a doctor, take care of all the administrative details regarding payment, and assist with language or other issues.

Info details

Adress: V Úvalu 84, Prague 5, tel. +420 224 438 590


Opening hours: Mo - Fr 6:30 - 19:00; weekends and holidays nonstop

Tel.: +420 224 433 681, +420 224 433 692 (Health Care Services for Foreigners)

  You can find other tips for hospitals that could help you here and here.

Available on Czech public health insurance and to holders of European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) as well as for patients who are not covered by these public health insurance options. 

Info details

Contact person: MUDr. Youngová & spol., s.r.o.

Address: Vítězné náměstí 829/10,160 00 Prague 6

Tel.: +420 222 366 166


  • UCT Prague Doctor: MUDr. Alžběta Sacherová (erasmus exchange) 

WHERE? Building C (Studentská 6), 4th floor, room C414 

+420 220 443 207 

Prefill and take with you Medical history form 


 Psychological care

Students should focus on positive mental health that would help them to thrive and reach their optimal potential at work, study, and in life. At times, students might experience difficulties that may cause disruption and confusion in their lives. Studying usually involves a significant commitment of time and effort and requires a disciplined routine in order to achieve academic success. That itself can place significant stress on mental health. It is important that, in times of high stress, students have strategies in place to protect their mental health.

  • 112 – Emergency Telephone Number



The centre offers immediate assistance 24/7 (no appointment needed). An English-speaking doctor is always present, but the centre does not guarantee English-speaking services over the phone.

Info details

Address: Ústavní 91, 181 02 Prague 8

Tel.: +420 284 016 110, +420 284 016 666


English-speaking specialists are available. Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Info details

Address: Varšavská 37, Prague 2




Provides a wide range of counselling services.

Info details



Individual psychotherapy, couple counselling, experienced international psychotherapist anchored in the Person-Centred Approach of Carl R. Rogers

Info Details

Adress: Person Center, Radlická 99; 150 00 Prague  – Metro B station Radlická

Contact person: Willi Roes



  • TEP ASSOCIATION (therapy for incomers) within InBáze z.s.

TEP therapists  provide therapy in many different languages, the therapy is provided free of charge.

Info details

Address: InBáze,z.s. Legerova 50, Praha 2 (at I.P .Pavlova)




Career and Counselling Centre of the UCT Prague recommends contacting Mgr. Tomáš Klumpara.

Info details

Address: Centrum Hladina s.r.o., Kafkova 547/29, Praha 6, Dejvice - registered office

Centrum Hladina s.r.o., Černá 1705/13, Praha 1, Nové Město – branch


Information on the website is only in the Czech language: 

Updated: 30.9.2022 15:15, Author: Adéla Habartová

UCT Prague
Technická 5
166 28 Prague 6 – Dejvice
IČO: 60461373 / VAT: CZ60461373

Czech Post certified digital mail code: sp4j9ch

Copyright: UCT Prague
Information provided by the Department of International Relations and the Department of R&D. Technical support by the Computing Centre.