Please wait...
Nepřihlášený uživatel
You are here: UCT Prague - International office -  → International Staff → Prospective Academic / Researcher → Immigration formalities EU
iduzel: 57077
idvazba: 67027
šablona: stranka_submenu
čas: 29.5.2022 01:53:36
verze: 5054
branch: trunk
Obnovit | RAW

Immigration formalities EU

In this section, you will find information about formalities to be arranged before your arrival.


Citizens of the European Union, including Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland can enter the Czech Republic using their passport or identity card. They are also entitled to work here without any special permit.

  • Invitation letter ◳ RAZITKO (jpg) → (ořez 215*215px)

if you need an invitation letter, please contact your host person or the Mobility Coordinator at UCT Prague

  • Valid passport
  • Finances

Please make sure that you have sufficient funds at your disposal after your arrival. Although it is not complicated to open a bank account in the Czech Republic (if you already do not have an IBAN=International Bank Account Number), you will need to make some payments on the first day of your arrival (e.g. taxi, deposit at the dormitory, etc.)

  • Medical health insurance

You should have a valid health insurance card (EHIC) or a travel health insurance covering the period from the first day of your arrival befor you start the employment.

You should bring with you a filled and signed medical report form, as well as the results of medical tests (requirements will be sent to you by the Mobility Coordinator). Please keep the payment receipt confirmation for reimbursement.

  • Fill-in the UCT Prague registration form

Before your arrival, you will be asked to fill-in a registration form in the UCT Prague mobility system. The link will be sent to you by the Mobility Coordinator.

  • Accommodation

If you wish to stay at the Residence Halls of UCT Prague, the mobility coordinator will book a room for you where you can stay for up to 3 months. It is highly recommended to start looking for private accommodation during this period. We can provide you with links and useful information about renting an appartment in Prague or its surroundings.

If the length of your stay is longer than 1 month you are oblidged to follow certain rules.

Long-term stay duties

If you intend to stay for more than 30 days you must register your address with the foreign police department. Our UCT Halls of Residence (or Dormitories) will fulfil this obligation for you. However, if you choose to move to a private apartment later on, you have to register with the foreign police yourself and show them your accommodation contract.

If you intend to stay for more than 3 months, you are entitled to apply for the issuing of a Registration certificate for EU citizens (Osvědčení o registraci občana EU)

Registration certificate for EU citizens

after 3 months of your stay, we recommend thet you apply for this registration certificate. You will need it when applying for a Czech birth number, driving licence, permanent residence stay, or registering your child at a public school, driving licence, applying for a permanent residence stay. You will find it useful every time you are asked to prove your stay in the Czech Republic. The certificate is valid for 10 years

Birth number (rodné číslo)

is a Czech ID number given to all Czech residents and holders of resident cards. It is a registration number thet you will be asked for when arranging administrative matters (e.g. signing an employment contract, filling-in tax returns, health and social security forms), etc.

The birth number and the Registration certificate are issued by the Immigration office of the Ministry of Interior (OAMP). The appointment at the Immigration office is arranged for you by the Mobility Coordinator.

Documents to provide for the application for Registration certificate for EU citizens:

  • Violet application 
  • A travel document/ID card - copy of the first page of your passport with your personal details and of all pages with some stamp or/and visa!
  • A document confirming the proof of stay – your employment contract
  • 1 photo (passport size)
  • Proof of travel medical insurance – like an employee at UCT Prague you are insured by VZP Company. It is also possible to use your EHIC card.
  • Proof of accommodation
  • KOLEK (revenue stamps) in the amount of 200 CZK - stick it to the violet application form on the first page

 All documents shall not be older than 180 days except your passport at photo. It is necessary to use original documents or certified copies and all documents has to be translated to the Czech language.

 Certified copies can be made at any post office with Czech POINT logo. You will just show the original document and simple copy to the clerk and he/she will verify that the copy is the same as the original. There is a fee 30 CZK for every started page of the authenticated document sized A4 or less. Only your passport/ID card cannot be verified, so we will send just a simply copy of that.

 You don´t have to go to the Ministry in person. It is possible to apply for this type of certificate by the post.

 As soon as you will collect all necessary documents, please, contact your mobility coordinatot. After her check you will send the application to the Ministry of the Interior.

As an EU citizen staying for longer than 30 days in the Czech Republic, you are obliged to report any changes (address, passport number, family status, name) at the Immigration office of MOI. For more information please see reporting changes.

You also have to report passport loss or theft to the MOI office that is the closest to your registered residence, no matter if you are here for a short visit or a longer stay.

Family members of EU citizens ◳ RODINA-sq (png) → (ořez 215*215px)

It is important to differentiate if the family member of an EU citizen is an EU citizen or a third country national. Citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland have similar rights as EU citizens.

If you are a citizen of the United Kingdom please, see information about Brexit.

Family members who are EU citizens

Family members who are EU citizens are subject to the same rules as other EU citizens. They can enter the Czech Republic (CR) without a visa, using only their passport or identity card. They are also entitled to work here without any special permit.

If they intend to stay in the CR for more than 30 days they must register their address of stay in the CZE with the foreign police department. If they live at the UCT Prague dormitories, this obligation is fulfilled automatically by the dormitory clerk.

If they decide to stay in the CR for more than 3 months we strongly recommend that they apply for a Temporary Residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen

Family members who are third country nationals

Family members of an EU citizen have the same rights as EU citizens. However, as third country nationals, they are not allowed to enter the CR without a Czech visa.

Prior to their arrival, they must ask for a short-term visa (Schenghen visa). The time delay for getting this type of visa should not exceed 1 month.

There is a 90/180 rule: the length of your stay you should not exceed 90 days during any 180- day period. It is recommended to use the following calculator:

Some states are exempt from visa requirement, which means that their members can stay up to 3 months without any visa.

If they are holders of a residence permit for one of the Schenghen countries, they can also stay up to 3 months without any visa.

Please note that they may not work based on the short-term visa.

Within the first 3 months of their arrival in ČR they must apply for a Temporary residence permit for a family member of an EU citizen

Updated: 4.3.2022 11:16, Author: Irena Mináriková

UCT Prague
Technická 5
166 28 Prague 6 – Dejvice
IČO: 60461373 / VAT: CZ60461373

Czech Post certified digital mail code: sp4j9ch

Copyright: UCT Prague
Information provided by the Department of International Relations and the Department of R&D. Technical support by the Computing Centre.
switch to desktop version